5 Things I love about you TODAY.
“Today you are You, that’s truer than true. There is no one alive that’s Youer than You.” Very wise words by Dr. Seuss. I had a moment the other day. A friend and I were discussing the twins language skills and vocabulary, she asked which words Charlie had been able to say at the same age and a terrible realisation hit me… I couldn’t remember. I had been given so many of those “my first year” milestone diaries and I had not used a single one. As feelings of guilt swirled inside me I grasped for things I did remember? First tooth: 4 months, first word: “mum” (of course), walking: 12 months. Although I could pull a few “charlie facts” out of my overtired brain the “I can’t remember list” was far longer. In all honesty this made me kind of sad, as if my not remembering cast some kind of dark shadow of insignificance over these moments which at the time had been so magical. I didn’t want Charlie to one day ask, “mum, how old was I when I…..?” and for me to draw a blank. I want my kids to know that every little milestone, every phase (good or bad) is noticed and cared about. In fact I believe it’s not the milestones that matter but the seemingly insignificant moments that mean the most 10-20-50 years down the track. So here is the plan:
5 things I love about you TODAY!
I am setting an alarm in my phone so that once a month I record 5 things I love (or love/hate- like poo) about each child on that day.
Here is todays list:
- I love the way you randomly tell me: “Mum, I love you all day.” It melts my heart.
- I love the way you frown, pat your belly and say: “My tummy is so sore, it needs a lolly.”
- I love your new cranky face. (See image below)
- I love that everyone you meet is your “best friend.”
- I love that you are so obsessed with the green tractor at daycare (that you have named Frankie) that you ask God to look after him when you say a prayer each night.
- I love that you are so happy go lucky.
- I love that you are SO affectionate and generous with your kisses and cuddles.
- I love that you are infatuated with your brother and want to do everything he does, even though he’s not that keen on you.
- I love that you are a dare devil and will attempt anything. No slide is too high for you.
- I love the way you love the ocean. Although I must remind you, you can’t actually swim yet, even if you think you can.
- I LOVE that you sleep through the night, every night.
- I love that you want to be by my side, ALL THE TIME. It’s nice to be wanted, ALL THE TIME.
- I love the way you wave and blow kisses to complete strangers making them smile.
- I love the way you LOVE our dog Daisy and shower her with cuddles and feed her all your food.
- I love your cheeky nature, you have the cheekiest face and are always up to something clever. Like accidentally taking selfies on mummy’s phone.
If you like this story why not check out more of my blog by clicking HERE!